Sunday 10 September 2017

Restaurant Review: The Alchemist, New York Street, Manchester

Hey,

Another restaurant review today - and not somewhere I'd expect to be visiting with food as the focus.

I've been to both of The Alchemist's Manchester city centre sites plenty of times for drinks but a meal has never been on the agenda.

After a £180,000 investment to rejuvenate the New York Street venue in line with The Alchemist's new openings, I was excited to be invited down to the bar/restaurant* to try the menu and take in the recently revamped surroundings.


Inside, things have gotten decidedly darker and more decadent; with moodier lighting, rich wood, gold accents and tattoo-inspired artwork adorning the walls and menus.

The two-week transformation has seriously succeeding in creating a more indulgent atmosphere.

Drinks


If you know anything at all about The Alchemist, you'll probably be well-aware that the chain is renowned for its drinks - specifically, the innovative and well-executed cocktails.

I'm a self-confessed cocktail snob (through working in a cocktail bar myself during my bar-tending years) so I really do appreciate a good cocktail.

We tried a couple each from the extensive menu. I was a little too busy admiring the room and hurriedly chose a Peaches and Cream from the top left of the massive selection; a tasty concoction of peach liqueur, pink grapefruit and lemon with a side of prosecco. I don't usually like my cocktails too sweet but the lemon and pink grapefruit gave it just enough sharpness.

Chris went for a classic Smokey Old Fashioned - with Woodford Reserve bourbon, maple syrup, bitters and lots of real smoke contained in a conical flask.




Starter


We both ended up choosing fairly similar starters. I opted for the Crab Bon Bons served with Lobster Mayo, while Chris chose a Pulled Pork version with a Chipotle dip.

I had fewer bon bons but a much larger pot of dip with my dish which was a little baffling but both versions tasted amazing and good portion sizes nonetheless. 

It was difficult to choose from the long list of 'Tapatisers' and on my next visit, I'd definitely like to try ordering a number of these rather than a main instead.


Main Course


Even though much of the menu is of an Asian persuasion, I was tempted by a simple steak - a 9oz Rib Eye served with garlic butter and fries - I added peppercorn sauce too.

The steak was cooked beautifully and I felt that it was great value.

Chris went for the Special Fried Chicken in a Basket which was definitely eye-catching in its large chicken-shaped wire basket. Many of the cocktails are presented in theatrical vessels but Chris had to admit that his main was a little difficult to eat in its wire prison! Other than the interesting presentation method, the chicken was juicy and plentiful.


Dessert


We couldn't resist sharing a dessert (being too full to manage one each) and settled on the Belgian Waffles - served with cinnamon sugar, syrup and ice cream. 

A perfect end to a delicious meal!




Have you eaten at The Alchemist before or visited since the refurb?

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This looks so delicious, its making me really hungry just reading this !
    Also you are looking beautiful !!!
    Alex ox
    http://www.champagneandlemonadeox.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite living in Manchester for 3 years I've surprisingly never been to The Alchemist. This review makes me want to even more than before. I'm a huge fan of getting a few small plates instead of a main so would definitely opt for that!

    Bec x | http://space-cowgirl.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Be sure to leave your blog address if you have one so I can check out your site too.

© The Quick Red Fox - Manchester Fashion, Food and Lifestyle Blogger, UK | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig